Education Welfare

The above service is provided by the ALN&I Service for Gwynedd and Anglesey LEAs. The authorities considers it an essential support service, not only for pupils and families but also for schools within the counties. 

The service’s overall objective is to try and resolve any problem, preventing a child from fully benefitting from the education available, by offering practical advice or support.

What does the Service provide?

Focus is given to cases concerning the following fields:

  • pupils' school attendance
  • protecting children from abuse
  • monitoring the procedure regarding issuing licenses for children to perform
  • monitoring the child employment procedure  

How to make a referral to the service? 

Usually, schools refer cases to the service. However, children and families can directly self-refer through contacting the Education Welfare Officer at the local secondary school or by telephone 01286 679 007.

Who's in the team:

Senior Education Welfare Officer 

Meinir Bolton

Education Welfare Officer 

Emma Pritchard

Angela Bennett

Sian Pritchard Parry

Linda Caren Jones

Angela Owen

Carys Hughes

Eleri Wyn Jones

Tammi Jones

Theresa Hodgson

Sion Owen

Mared Roberts

Shân Jones


Licensing Children's Performances

The Child (Performances & Activities) (Wales) Regulations 2015 are now in force and have the aim of safeguarding children under the school leaving age who are working and/or performing in the entertainment industry, modelling or participating in some other activities. The need for a licence depends on what is being organised. The main factors indicating a licence is required are:

  • If there is a charge for admission or other reason
  • If the performance is on premises licensed to sell alcohol (even if the bar is closed during the performance)
  • If the performance is broadcast live (TV, radio or internet streaming)
  • If the performance is recorded to be used in a broadcast or film that will be seen by the public
  • Any activity where children take part in sports or modelling for which payment (not expenses) is made.
  • To apply for a performances licence, please get in touch with Rhian Khardani on 01286 679007
  • Head Teacher approval must be gained for any absence from school

There are certain exemptions, but these only apply where no payment is made to, or in respect of, children performing, whoever takes the payment:

  • Performance organised by a school (educational school, not a dance school or similar organisation)
  • Child has performed for fewer than 4 days in the past 6 months - if absence from school is entailed, then written Head Teacher approval is required.

The rules governing children in entertainment cover children who take part in 'performances' and 'activities' including all broadcast and theatre performances, child photography and modelling.

In some cases, an organiser can apply for a Body of Persons Approval which covers all of the children performing in one approval. This may be a good option for amateur groups and schools. Key requirements are that the child is not paid and the organisation has robust and effective systems in place to safeguard children during rehearsals and performance.

There is no charge for child performance licences or Body of Persons Approvals.

Rules applying to every performance

Whether or not licences are required, organisers must ensure that children do not work (perform or rehears) longer or later than fits their age. Children must have proper breaks. Time spent in make-up, wardrobe or other physical preparation does not count as a break. Overnight breaks should normally be no less than 14 hours.

Any child taking part in a performance must not take part in any other employment on the day of performance or the day after. This does not affect performances on two consecutive days.


Children cannot be properly cared for and supervised by parents or teachers all the time when rehearsing or performing, and so chaperones are licensed by the local authority. The chaperone must act in the best interests of the child and so must have appropriate training.

Please contact the Senior Education Welfare Officer for further information about registering as a chaperone.

Timescales and Communication

Application forms for performance licences and body of persons approvals should be submitted no fewer than 21 days before the start of the activity. Some licence applications may take less time to process but this cannot be guaranteed.

Welsh Government Guidance



Path: /SiteElements/Razor/FfeiliauADYaCh.cshtml
Error: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.