Physical / Medical

Who receives his service?

Children and young people with physical conditions e.g. Cerebral Palsy (Hemi and Quadriplegic), Neuro-muscular e.g. Muscular Dystrophy, Muscular Dystrophy and CMT, spina bifida, Ehlers-danlos

Children and young people with medical conditions e.g. Epilepsy, Diabetes, Allergies, Heart conditions etc.

Every child/young person with a physical/medical condition will not require additional support, however, some will need this.

Not all children and young people with a medical condition will have additional learning needs (ALN). The question is always whether or not the child or the young person has a learning difficulty or disability which calls for additional learning provision (ALP).

What does the service offer?

  • Consultation visit to discuss needs.
  • Consulting with personnel / health agencies for advice. 
  • Discuss the provision the child will require.
  • Specialist guidance for schools on how to satisfy the medical requirements within a school environment.
  • Specialist guidance on curricular adaptation, coordinate information and develop inclusive aspects.
  • Progressive visits to support pupil targets / requirements according to the needs.
  • Training tailored for school needs.

Environment Audit to include:

  • Access to buildings and a request to provide e.g. lifts, ramps, handrails as well as adaptations to toilets and medical rooms.
  • Access to the curriculum and advice on specialist furniture, such as adapted workstations, specialist seating, changing tables, slide sheets, equipment for Physical Education and Technology.
  • General advice on: Assessing and managing risk and Lifting and Handling.
Who's in the team?
Specialist Teacher

Mari Lois Hughes

Hanna Gwyn Williams

Children's Risk Assessor - Moving and Handling

Mari Davies

How can the service be accessed?

It is possible to access the service either via a referral by a professional from the Health Board or a school can make an application to the Area Forum for service support.


The Voice of the Child / Young Person

It is extremely important that all involved with the child / young person participate in the meeting to create an Individual Medical Plan (IMP) or Individual Development Plan (IDP) so that we discover what the pupils regard as important. There are many ways in which a child or young person can participate. This will enable us to create a very personal IMP or IDP for the child / young person. This will be done through speaking with the child / young person and their family, and agreeing on the best approach to prioritize and provide support.


What is the Educational Psychologist's role?


What is the Quality Officer's role?


What is the school's role?

Every school has a responsibility to create a safe and caring environment where it is possible for pupils to develop, be confident and happy. In order to ensure an environment that is friendly for pupils with a physical/medical impairment schools are expected to:

  • Ensure that any risks are targeted.
  • Ensure that the learning and social environment is inclusive and welcoming.
  • Respond at different levels to needs by considering any reasonable specialist advice.
  • Measure the progress of children / young people who receive interventions in order to be able to show how effective they are.
  • Use standard and directed assessments to see progress and determine the most suitable and best support.
  • Ensure that any strategies / recommendations by the specialist service are included in all aspects of the pupil’s school life.


Who else can help?

Action for Sick Children 36 Jackson’s Edge Road Disley Stockport SK12 2JL 0800 0744519

Action for ME and Chronic Fatigue 3rd Floor, Connignton House 38 Victoria Street Bristol BS1 6BY Helpline:  0845 1232314

The Anaphylaxis Campaign PO Box 275 Farnborough HAMPSHIRE GU14 6SX 01252 542029

Allergy UK (British Allergy Foundation) Planwell House LEFA Business Park Edgington Way Sidcup, Kent, DA14 5BH Helpline 01322 619898 (Open 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.)

Cystic Fibrosis Trust One Aldgate Second Floor London EC3N 1RE 0845 859 1000

National Eczema Society 11 Murray Street London NW1 9RE 02072813553 Helpline 0870 241 3604

SCOPE CYMRU Community Area Office The Wharf Schooner Way CARDIFF CF10 4EU 0292 2046 170

SENSE 101 Pentonville Road, London, N1 9LG 0845 127 0060

Terrence Higgins Trust (Information about HIV and AIDS) Canton House 435/451 Cowbridge Road East Canton CARDIFF CF5 1WE 0292 066 6465

Child Accident Prevention Trust Clerks Court 22 26 Farringdon Lane LONDON EC1R 3AJ 020 76083828

CLIC Sargent 0800 197 0068

Children in Wales CARDIFF 2032034 2434 

Diabetes UK Cymru CARDIFF 02920 668276 Helpline: 0845 1202960

Shine (Association for Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus (ASHBAH) 42 Park Road PETERBOROUGH PE1 2UQ 01733 555988

Asthma UK Cymru 3rd Floor Eastgate House 35/43 Newport Road CARDIFF CF24 OAB Helpline: 02920 435 400  

Epilepsi Cymru Helpline: 0845 741 3774

Epilepsy Action New Anstey House Gate Way Drive Yeadon, LEEDS LS19 7XY 0113 210 8800 Fax 0113 391 0300 

The Psoriasis Association Dick Coles House 2 Queensbridge NORTHAMPTON NN4 7BF 0845 676 0076

The Sickle Cell Society 54 Station Road LONDON NW10 4UA 020 89617795

British Red Cross UK Office Moorfields LONDON EC2 9AL 0870 170 7000

Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) Edgbaston Park 353 Bristol Road BIRMINGHAM B5 7ST 0121 2482000

NHS Direct 111


Balance Activities 

See Resources Section below

Toileting Guidance

from Scottish Government