Child Employment - Work Permits
You must have a child employment permit if you want to employ a child. It is illegal to employ a child under 13 years of age, and restrictions apply until they reach school leaving age.
By law, a child is employed if he or she assists in a trade or occupation which is carried on for profit – whether or not the child receives any payment or reward for that employment. A parent can be considered as an employer.
- It is illegal to employ a child under the age of 13. You cannot apply for a permit before the child has had their 13th birthday.
- Children can only be employed in specific types of work.
- No child can work at any time between 7pm and 7am.
- No child can work more than 2 hours on a school day.
- A child who works for 4 hours must have a break of at least 1 hour.
- There are different working hours allowed for 13/14 year olds and 15/16 year olds.
- No child can work for more 2 hours on a Sunday.
Information Leaflets about child employment and work permits
Child Employment - Welsh Government - Regulations and restrictions on when children aged 13 to 16 years need a work permit
Information for the parents of children who work part-time - Mae’r daflen hon yn egluro’r rheoliadau cyfreithiol mewn perthynas â gweithwyr rhan amser sy’n dal o oedran ysgol orfodol
A Guide for Employers - Part-time employment school aged children - This leaflet explains the legal regulations towards part-time workers still of compulsory school age.
A guide for children and young people who want to work part-time
Information for children and young people - This leaflet explains the legal regulations towards part-time workers still of compulsory school age.
How do I request a work permit?
If a work permit is required, you will need to complete an application form from your local authority, link below
Child Employment Application Form - Gwynedd and Anglesey
Enquiries – 01286 679 007 GweinyddolADYaCH@Gwynedd.llyw.cymru
Return the Application Form to: Rhonwen Jones, Education Department, Cyngor Gwynedd, Plas Llanwnda, Caernarfon, Gwynedd LL55 1SH